Sex Offender Deregistration

Is it possible for a person to deregister as a sex offender in Colorado? 

  • Possibly. Much depends on the nature of the underlying conviction and how much time has elapsed since the end of a prison or probationary sentence. It is important to review your options with a qualified and knowledgeable attorney.

If my conviction was from out of state and I am required to register in Colorado, can I apply to deregister?

  • Possibly. In order to determine how long someone must register in Colorado as a sex offender the statute (law) of the conviction in the other state must be compared to Colorado law. Eligibility for deregistration is determined based on the timeline for the most similar Colorado law. If there is a possibility of deregistration then a civil case can be filed in the county of your current residence in Colorado.

Can you fight being charged with Failure to Register as a Sex Offender, 18-3-412.5?

  • Yes, like any other charge the prosecutor must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person was required to register as sex offender under Colorado law and then failed to do so.